According to reports in the Cornish Guardian a Thresher Shark, weighing in at a colossal 386LB was landed and released on Sunday, smashing the previous record at 323LB, caught in 1982.
The fish took and hour and twenty minutes to land in what has been described as a “team effort” as the group of anglers on board Ilfracombe charter “Reel Deal” did battle with the huge fish. Fisherman Nick Lane enticed the shark onto his hook with a mackerel bait.
Boat skipper, Dan Hawkins described the shark as “The catch of a lifetime”
He told the Cornish Guardian:
“Within 15 minutes of the rod being out it just screamed off – and the next thing we saw was this thresher shark jumping 20ft out of the water.
“It was just sheer jubilation when we got it on board. It is one thing hooking it – but another to land it.
“The thresher shark is very rare in UK waters and the chances of seeing one and hooking it are extremely rare so I feel very privileged to have been involved in one.
“It is the fish and catch of a lifetime. I have had many experienced anglers who have never come close to getting one who have contacted me telling me how lucky I am.
“I feel very honoured to have been involved in it.”
Latest posts by admin (see all)
- Barrow Carp Angler Breaks Cumbrian Carp Record - August 4, 2016
- British Record Thresher Shark Caught Off The Coast In Cornwall - August 4, 2016
- Bentley’s In Car Tackle Box & Rod set – A Snip At Just £80K - August 3, 2016
- Salmon Poaching In The Solent Region – Tim Sykes - August 2, 2016
- The Helicopter Rig – Catching Big Rudd & Roach With Alan Stagg - August 2, 2016